[Sigia-l] Rollover Question (Web 2.0)

David (Heller) Malouf dave.ixd at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 08:13:19 EDT 2006

i also want to add to (and agree w/ Ziya) by saying that the whole new web
paradigm shift and application design shift (looking at O2007 and the like)
is one based on context and discoverability.

This means that there is an assumption around modality in the systems we are
designing and that means that we cannot rely purely on presentation in a
single layer outcome to reveal all that we need.

I would also state that we can't even rely on context modality as a sole
layering effect. The example sited of Mac Office 2004 has a lot of
contextual elements, but heck all those elements also require a lot more
discoverability in order to communicate what is behind them.

The palette bar on the left for example is strewn with a ton of elements
that lead to even further depth beyond just the contextual queue.

-- dave

On 9/29/06, Ziya Oz <listera at earthlink.net> wrote:
Todd Warfel:

> Great design doesn't rely on tooltips.

Neither does it rely on wanton exposition.

The key word here is "rely." What exactly does it mean? What may be
extra/complementary for some users may turn out to be important/crucial for
others, in a given context. (And I'm referring to rollover behavior in
general, not just tooltips or menus.) It's very easy to dismiss this by
saying, don't have a black box as an icon and reveal its purpose only on
rollover tooltip. Duh. But there are far more challenging cases where the
layered rollover info is darn near impossible to reveal in any other
convenient way and provides excellent complementary value for many, and even

crucial value for some. Info layering and progressive disclosure are
fundamental design principles. They can be used for great effect or
misapplied like anything else in life.

----
Ziya

Usability >  Simplify the Solution
Design >  Simplify the Problem

*Plain text, please; NO Attachments

Most presentations/papers and posters have been loaded to the IA Summit 06
website:

http://iasummit.org/2006/conferencedescrip.htm
http://iasummit.org/2006/posters.htm