[Sigia-l] Information Architecture 3.0

Anne Hjortshoj anne.hj at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 11:47:10 EST 2006

Interesting blog entry ... but I have to challenge this:

------------------
I joined IxDA just in time for a celebration of the total absence of
information architects from Designing Interactions by Bill Moggridge
... And, if I were feeling snarky, I might argue this is a
manifestation of the semantic envy of designers who would be
architects of which Tog wrote or that we're witnessing a classic case
of the younger sister competing for resources and attention. After
all, there's a reason why "information architecture" is five times
more valuable than "interaction design" in the eyes of Google AdWords.
-----------------

In my experience, interaction design usually falls to people with the
I.A. job title. Therefore the AdWords results don't really support
your claim, because "information architecture" usually includes
"interaction design" by default.

It's possible to slice roles and descriptions a number of ways, but in
the real world, most I.A.s are also tasked with interaction design,
even if it's not implicit in their job title. I can't think of a
single working I.A. I've met/hung out with in the last several years
who assumes otherwise.

-Anne