[Sigia-l] What's wrong down under?

Andrew Boyd facibus at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 17:04:41 EST 2006

Hi Brain,

just on three of your points below, seeing as we are talking categorisation:
- market differentiation dictates that there are a number of
chemically similar beers produced by Australian breweries that are
called different names. Resch's Pilsener is not really a pilsener (try
it then try an Urquell), neither is VB really a bitter, nor Toohey's
Old a real Dark Ale. Coopers' brews are better than most but still not
really that differentiatable - a couple of years back all Coopers'
beers still used the same yeast, and had the same distinct Coopers
tang in the taste profile. I still drink it, but then again, I have
been known to drink Tooheys New on a hot day too :) By world
standards, Australian beers are getting better, but are still mostly
bland unchallenging light lagers.
- there are a number of speciality outlets for cheese here in Canberra
- my point was that my local supermarket had a wider range than was
normal for a typical suburban shopping centre. Bless 'em, they even
sell a dozen different Belgian beers :)
- as an aside, the ACIS conference looks like a good one. Enjoy the hangover :)

Best regards, Andrew