[Sigia-l] What's wrong down under?

Leisa Reichelt leisa.reichelt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 05:36:23 EST 2006

> > I thought Aussies were reasonably reasonable people; what
> > happened? Will this impact how you'll handle information?

Reasonably reasonable as a rule, yes. But the current government
(which has been the government for about a decade now) has a track
record of making highly restrictive (and, in my opinion, pretty dumb)
decisions with regards to technology, media and content.

However... from a consumer perspective, they don't have a strong
history of enforcing this legislation. For many years of the iPod's
existence it was technically illegal to *use* an iPod (up until the
iTunes store finally opened for business in Australia), but as
evidenced by the number of iPods found in use on public transport
throughout Sydney, none of these 'pirates' were ever actually punished
and Apple sales soared.

Will be interesting to see if this continues.
Leisa Reichelt
User Experience Consultant

leisa.reichelt at gmail.com
www.disambiguity.com