[Sigia-l] A different kind of shopping experience

Jonathan Baker-Bates Jonathan.Baker-Bates at Wheel.co.uk
Tue Nov 21 05:49:13 EST 2006

This is no gimmick - it's a great example of doing something right for a niche audience. I admit that my initial reaction to this was the same as Paola's - but then I remembered that Etsy is a shop selling small hand-made things to a certain type of people who value interesting stuff and see browsing through such stuff as entertainment in its own right.

Who do I know that fits that description? My wife!

So - I showed her Etsy. After using the standard browsing UI on the home page, she hit the colour browser. She instantly loved it. Her favourite colour is... She has a jacket that's ... Oh look! That bag is lovely - just the right colour for it... Japanese pattern wrapping paper in cerise, nice!

And so on. Half an hour later she was browsing on the "time machine" and all sorts. Now she wants that UI on eBay.

Jonathan