[Sigia-l] What am I missing...

Paola Kathuria paola at limov.com
Thu Nov 2 15:41:49 EST 2006

Will Parker wrote:
> [...] you have before you an excellent argument against allowing
> programmers to participate in the design of user interfaces or
> documentation?

This is the kind of anti-programmer generalisation that led
both me and my (programmer) husband to fling Alan Cooper's
"The Inmates are Running the Asylum" across the room after
just a few pages.

If all the user interfaces that programmers were involved in
were turned off, do you think you'd even be able to post a
message to this list?

Operating systems, the Internet, web browsers and mailers
were created by programmers, and at a time likely without
the help from designers.

Imagine how good our deliverables would be if only designers,
programmers and marketing folk appreciated and respected
each others' work so that we could work together towards a
common goal.

Yes, some programmers think that design is a frivolous luxury
only needed to make things clear for stupid people. However,
they are not the majority. And many of us champion user-centred
design.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Paola, mightily miffed
--