[Sigia-l] planning vs prototyping (was: Web browser based diagramming)

Eric Scheid eric.scheid at ironclad.net.au
Wed Mar 29 00:43:05 EST 2006

On 28/3/06 6:50 PM, "Listera" <listera at rcn.com> wrote:

>>> I've got similar horror stories about applications developed without
>>> planning...
>>>
> So because in *your* anecdote some people developed "without planning" and
> presumably used a des/dev method different than yours, we're supposed to a
> priori condemn the method they used and not their incompetence?

That would be a gross generalisation, so no, you shouldn't.

Not that I'm here to tell you what you can say. If you want to flail away
and shadow box some trumped up straw man of your own invention, then do so.

> If such a generalization cannot be made why provide the anecdote in your
> conclusion?

It's just one data point. It's a demonstration that using an "agile
iterative, non-proxy approach" is no guarantee against bad planning. It's
also a demonstration that building a prototype does not require planning.

> Are we suppose to think using an agile, iterative, non-proxy approach is
> tantamount to not being able to plan?

No. See above.

That such an approach does not provide support for planning, by definition,
does raise the question of just how good planning is meant to happen with
such an approach.

> Are you telling me that there have been no cases of incompetence displayed by
> those who use, say, wireframes?

I'm glad you used the word incompetence, for that is what that would be.
When someone uses a *planning* tool but produces bad planning, then that is
flat out incompetence in planning ability. However, when someone uses a
tool/approach whose purpose isn't centered on *planning* (eg. is instead
prototyping/implementation), and they produce bad planning, then that's
different. It's more an indictment against the tool/method than the
individual's ability.

At this point I can see this thread circling the drain, especially given
your past nitpicking argumentative defensiveness ... but you could rescue it
by explaining how a prototyping/implementation methodology such as you
espouse helps you to *plan*. How does it incorporate planning? You've not
explained that very well yet, but it sure would be interesting to find out.
Lets turn this thread into something positive.

e.