Where's the reality? was, Re: [Sigia-l] Off Topic Posts

Listera listera at rcn.com
Sat Mar 11 04:12:36 EST 2006

Leisa Reichelt:

> there would be a lot of arguing over whether or not a 'deliverable' had
> absolutely been achieved (meaning that your client then owes you money)

In a deliverables culture, that's absolutely true. But if you move away from
that notion towards the product-as-the-only-goal then possibilities open up.
Does this mean contractual obligations have to be rethought between clients
and consultants? Absolutely, but therein lies their advocacy and the
promise.

Personally, I always sign on for a project and never for specific
deliverables. When clients' lawyers insist on "deliverables" we agree to put
in reasonable estimates, always specifically prefaced to be rough estimates,
and in the past decade or so I have never done a project where these were
not significantly deviated from, in many cases altogether abandoned for much
different ones.  It's easier to hand a in a minimum-acceptable deliverable
than to solve a tough problem. If the client insists on buying deliverables,
as opposed to expertise, they are shortchanging themselves. After all, tying
compensation to deliverables is absolutely no guarantee of success or
quality.

----
Ziya

Design is doing for a dime what anyone can do for a dollar.