[Sigia-l] Eliminating categories in favour of tagging

Stewart Dean stew8dean at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 10 09:05:30 EST 2006

>From: "Dmitry Nekrasovski" <mail.dmitry at gmail.com>
>To: sigia-l at asis.org
>Subject: [Sigia-l] Eliminating categories in favour of tagging
>Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 15:40:30 -0800
>
>The "let's turn this forum's energy towards substantive discussion"
>meme seems to be gaining steam, so here is my attempt to jump on the
>bandwagon. :)
>
>My employer is in the process of upgrading its internal blogging
>platform. The new version announcement came out a couple of days ago,
>and contained a statement to the effect of "since tagging is the new
>best practice in metadata generation for blogs, the new version will
>not have post categories, only tags".
>
>What does everyone think of this move from an IA standpoint? Please
>don't get caught up on the "best practice" part... :)

My first thought is that cegories can be used as tags. And to some degree
the other way around.

It does sound like someone has heard something without understanding why
some consider tags best practice for blogs. Sites like Flickr testify to the
success and failure of tags and why sometimes the best solution is both.

Stewart Dean