[Sigia-l] Off Topic Posts

Alexander Johannesen alexander.johannesen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 20:58:11 EST 2006

On 3/10/06, Stewart Dean <stew8dean at hotmail.com> wrote:
> We have a lot of work to do to add a degree of solidity to what we do in my
> view - thus my resent frustration.

Hmm, pardon my ignorance, but isn't one of the most important thing we
can do to ensure solidity is to be inclusive and open? I don't mean
this in a bad way, but if person X says Y, you can respond with
"That's off-topic!" or with "Hmm, is that on-topic?" There is a subtle
but *very* important difference here; one is judgemental while the
other is questioning. The first leads to this mess, the other, I
assert, would lead to more fruitful discussions.

Maybe I'm naive; people say they want to subscribe to one list for
every specific well-defined are of interest, but it makes me wonder
how many lists they're on. Personally I'm up to 46, and I'm not so
keen on making it 50 or 80 or, you know, given the number of
interests, 1000. I simply don't understand the cry about noise; we
humans deal with noise *all*the*time*, and we're pretty darn good at
it. Why the cry? Will your life be better if one list is better
moderated? I doubt it. The noise is a very human aspect to anything we
percieve, and I don't see it fruitful to go away.

Anyways people, the list is stormy right now, but things will calm
down, and life will return to normal, and the whingers will whinge in
the future, and the defenders of chaos will once again raise. It's how
the world works and has done so for millions of years. Some will
leave, some will come. IA is a fuzzy concept; live with it instead of
dealing with it. I don't see it changing anytime soon, and, I don't
want it to change. (Except name-calling and foul language; that's
simply not acceptable)

Regards,

Alex
--
"Ultimately, all things are known because you want to believe you know."
                                                         - Frank Herbert