[Sigia-l] graded categories?

Donna donna at maadmob.net
Mon Mar 6 07:58:04 EST 2006

OK, so here's some examples, off the top of my head, of graded
categories:

- Vegetarian
- Mother (this is a Lakoff example)
- Tall man (this is a Lakoff example too)
- Bachelor (this too)
- Shopping centre
- Family
- Holiday
- Bird
- Comedy

Each of these has a different reason for being graded, most
because there are prototypical and less prototypical members. Tall
man is because of fuzzy boundaries. I think bachelor is because of
an idealised cognitive model. There are other reasons, which I
can't remember off top of my head and because it makes my brain
hurt too much!

Donna