[compute] Re: [Sigia-l] "Team work" not what's cracked up to be?

Ziya Oz listera at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 26 00:20:19 EDT 2006

tOM Trottier:

> Agreed. So how do YOU dissolve box walls?

The art of strategy/design starts, as my sig below suggests, by framing the
question.

So, if you are asking me if one can get original, competitive, inventive
solutions out of homogenous corporate groups long-accustomed to groupthink
by way of brainstorming, my answer would be: why bother?

If you think simply allowing such groups to brainstorm somehow unleashes a
hitherto hidden trove of ideas, I'm afraid we disagree.

I'm sure someone can dig up an episode of corporate mavens blossoming with
unorthodox ideas of immense value at some brainstorming retreat somewhere up
in a Montana ranch, but the fat part of the Bell curve tells a different
story.

In risk-averse, team-worshipping, process-based corporate cultures, whatever
comes out of brainstorming, two steps downstream, is evaporated by the sheer
preponderance of groupthink and conformity, for which employees are most
often rewarded.

That's a long way of saying diversity is what ensures the viability of
brainstorming output.

----
Ziya

Usability >  Simplify the Solution