[Sigia-l] Design for nothin'

ZO listera at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 10 22:21:12 EDT 2006

One of the most interesting and (especially for those somewhat new to the
subject matter) informative threads I've seen on the Internets, ever:

<http://www.designobserver.com/archives/014697.html>

Recently BusinessWeek has started a new magazine/supplement ("INside
Innovation") that focuses on the "innovation/design/creativity space." The
controversy stems from the fact that this high-visibility pub whose aim is
to champion design and innovation asked five design firms to work for free
and submit prototypes on spec for the new magazine's design, contrary to
AIGA's code of ethics.

The lead article in Design Observer by Michael Bierut "The Road to Hell: Now
Paved with Innovation?" and the ensuing discussion in the commentaries by
designers architects, photographers, etc., of various backgrounds are most
engaging.

As can be seen in comments there, this pressure to devalue creative people's
time and effort has grave consequences for all of us. In fact, I recall
someone asking this list a few years ago if it was OK to give away free site
content audits to clients as loss leader in hopes of generating future IA
business.

(Incidentally, as interested in the growing commoditization of design as I
am, I had started a thread here many months ago on the same subject, which
must live somewhere in the archives.)

----
Ziya

Usability >  Simplify the Solution