[Sigia-l] "Search Inside the Music"

Jonathan Baker-Bates Jonathan.Baker-Bates at Wheel.co.uk
Wed Jul 12 08:17:33 EDT 2006

> According to Mr. Lamere, music search capabilities could also
> alter the traditional ³hit-driven² business model of the
> music industry

I'm being facetious, but can anyone think of a technology in the last 20 years that actually delivered on the promises of its inventor? It seems to me that once somebody starts predicting causal relationships between their snakoil and tectonic shifts in society or business models, it invariably sinks without trace, or crawls off into a tiny niche, never to emerge again.

The web: Tim B-L thought it might be useful for academics
Text messaging: mobile comms afterthought that changed the world

vs

Anti-noise: Bose make some headphones
VOD: Blockbuster's still trading
Cyclonic vacuum-cleaner: hmmm