[Sigia-l] Click that eye

andrew at humaneia.com andrew at humaneia.com
Tue Jul 11 18:04:54 EDT 2006

Quoting Jonathan Baker-Bates <Jonathan.Baker-Bates at Wheel.co.uk>:

> I'm not an HCI guru so I'm on thin ice with this, but is this idea not
> fundamentally flawed? Computer interaction generally has a "point and
> shoot" model: you use your senses to "acquire" a target for interaction,
> you then need to think about something before you "shoot" with the input
> device to initiate the interaction with the system. If you combine the
> acquisition mechanism with the input device it'll be like
> www.dontclick.it, only ten times worse.

 From memory the Apache helicopter uses something similar for Hellfire
missiles? The pilot moves the head-up display crosshairs over the
(mostly desirable) target then presses the trigger/button, with the
missile going to where the crosshair was, such that multiple targets
can be picked up? This is not so much eye-tracking as head-tracking,
but I guess the basic principle is the same.

Cheers, Andrew