[Sigia-l] Are your intensions good/

Ziya Oz listera at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 9 13:40:50 EDT 2006

Dan Saffer:

>> Well, who gets to decide what's "good" design? Client? You? Users?  Users
>> don't pay us, clients do. Do we subvert the client?
>
> Who decides what is good in  general?

In general: Oprah? Fox News? NYT Book Review?
In business: purveyors of "best practices."

> Is it the entity with power (money) or the individual?

Individuals can and do have power, when aggregated.

> Or  some higher power?

Yes, there's, of course, Intelligent Design.

> The AIGA or ACM? Or some combination of all those?

The one who pays the piper.

The reason I raised this issue is because some of these "good intentions"
folks are targeting designers. That's easy. But in the end those who pay
them to design are the ones in the driver's seat. It's much harder to target
them, as their intentions often lie elsewhere.

----
Ziya

Usability >  Simplify the Solution
Design >  Simplify the Problem