[Sigia-l] Are your intensions good/

Gordon Ross gordonr at openroad.ca
Fri Jul 7 17:31:08 EDT 2006

The politics of design (as a process) are just as important as the
politics of the object of design (as an outcome). You can employ
user-centred design principles in designing a better electric chair, but
at the end of the day, you're still designing an electric chair*.

At its core, Dan's quote has nailed it head on:

 > We should always ask, are the designs we make (or could make) good--i.e.
 > good for the users, those directly or indirectly affected, the culture,
 > the environment?

After asking this question, there is no doubt the answer will be a
contested, debated, and negotiated issue amongst all of the stakeholders
*who have a say* in the design process (which is why user-centred design
is often seen as a somewhat radical political act: bringing
traditionally ignored/neglected parties into the decision making process
about the design of objects, systems, and processes for their usage).

But asking the question, over and over again, for every project, with
every client and every user, every day we work is really the point.

Looking forward to seeing the book, Dan.

Gord.

* Note: As ridiculous as that particular example might sound, those
who've viewed the Errol Morris film Mr Death: The Rise and Fall of Fred
A. Leuchter Jr, will recognize it. He's an expert on execution systems -
and feels as though his work repairing and designing them allow for more
humane deaths.

Gordon Ross                                        gordonr at openroad.ca
OpenRoad Communications                       ph: 604.694.0554 ext 103
Internet Application Development                     fax: 604.694.0558
Vancouver, B.C.                                 http://www.openroad.ca