[Sigia-l] The Value of an IA discussion - from a newbie'sperspective

Dave Heller dheller at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 07:03:09 EST 2006

> You are planning on attending the IA Summit in Vancouver, right?  That will be a good forum for you to interact with others to answer some of your questions and maybe even find some mentoring opportunities.
>
> (Disclaimer:  I am in no way responsible for the organization of nor soliciting attendees for the IA Summit)

I want to 2nd Tony's suggestion about the IA Summit for newer people.
(and yes, I'm on the planning committee.)

1. It is just a GREAT time.
2. For novice IAs it is a great way to get a feel for the great
diversity within the field and the discipline. Great talks on
practice.
3. Donna Maurer's workshop for begginer IAs is awesome
4. many of the other workshops would be great for beginners including
the IxD Symposium by the IxDA (yes, I'm organizing that).

All in all a great way to network and to create relationships.

As to the statement made that there is no place for Jr. IAs, I would
say that IA by definition is a position that requires seniority to
some extent. That being said, I don't think that someone who has been
a tech writer for 5 years or so (I don't know your information at all)
should not consider themselves a purely Jr. IA. Yes, you'll have some
portfolio problems, but you should find a position as a web content
manager, or a producer, or a project manager at a shop that includes
IA roles and responsibilities. To be honest, especially in NYC this is
the best "entre" into the world of IA.

Basically (I think Ziya was alluding to this) don't go on titles, and
open yourself up to different positions that fit your total package,
but include IA.

Good luck!

-- dave

--