[Sigia-l] Putting the "Graphic" back with"Designer"

Listera listera at rcn.com
Tue Jan 10 18:37:30 EST 2006

Paula Thornton:

> Actually, if you're going to use the movie analogy, the strategic vision
> belongs to the producer

That's certainly the case with some movies, but not all. How the movie is
targeted and marketed certainly is. General directions to the Director so
that the movie comes out supporting that goal sure is. And so on.

Which is precisely why I said previously, "the one person who has by far the
most impact on a film (the "conductor" here if you will) is the director,
AFTER HE'S HIRED."

But, having agreed to the goals of the movie during contract negotiations,
once the Director does get the job, he's by far the most prominent
difference maker for the movie itself.

Similarly, the person providing the leadership in a project, the Designer,
ultimately works for someone, either as an employee or a consultant. So that
degree of hierarchy does exist.

> To really do the 'global perspective' of the strategy, we'd be playing the
> role of the producer.

Which is why, as I mentioned before, my title for the current project I'm
leading is in fact, Executive Producer for Application Strategy,
Architecture and Interface Design. High falutin' as it does sound, it
exposes the intention rather clearly.

In the end, this isn't/shouldn't be about titles. There should be leadership
and that leadership on a design project should be provided not by MBAs and
project managers, but by Designers who can think strategically to balance
the needs of clients and users. That's what's important...but I may be
totally wrong. :-)

----
Ziya

"Whoever controls the definition, controls the outcome."