[Sigia-l] Putting the "Graphic" back with"Designer"(was:thelesser importance of home pages)

Steven Pautz spautz at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 23:18:46 EST 2006

Oops -- I tried to send this out to the list, but used the wrong
sending address, so only Ziya got it. Here's the whole thing, in case
anybody's curious. =)

> > Actually, according to you (see above), what we do have is *two* designers.
>
> No, what Christopher has are two masters-of-one-trade, as opposed to
> Designers as I describe them. But you can continue to focus on trees.

This debate seems to focus on design as a 'forest' (Ziya's holistic
"Designer", as near as I can tell) versus design as 'trees' (the
multitude of individual emphases and subdisciplines). My voice and
experience are admittedly microscopic compared to the great booming
voices on this list, but I refuse to accept that either of these
vantage points could truly be the ultimate end of things.

I believe that design is fractal in nature.

The purposes, patterns, and mentalities of the holistic picture are
replicated infinitely within the holistic picture itself. Each
replication, each fold within the holistic picture of design conceals
a universe of its own, a universe which echoes the same purposes,
patterns, and mentalities as the holistic picture -- and which thus
conceals its own multitude of even smaller folds. Even the "holistic
picture" is a single fold within an even larger picture, ad infinitum.

There's no such thing as "a tree", since each tree is an entire
forest. There's no such thing as "a forest", since each forest is but
a single tree. Terms such as "graphical designer", "user interface
designer", and even Ziya's "Designer" are just different snapshots of
the fractal -- different lenses focusing on different folds; different
focuses which deliver different values.

Just my 2 cents. =)