[Sigia-l] Putting the "Graphic" back with "Designer"(was:thelesser importance of home pages)

andrew at friendlymanual.com andrew at friendlymanual.com
Wed Jan 4 21:01:53 EST 2006

Quoting Listera <listera at rcn.com>:

> My point was that the entire team by now knows that when I use the word
> "design" I don't restrict it to graphic design and that it integrates
> strategy, architecture, interface, interaction, etc. If it can happen in
> such a conservative place, it can happen anywhere.

I think that Peter's comment was that "Designer" covers such a multitude of sins
that using it as a label in a wider corporate environment may lead to
misunderstanding.

"Design manager" doesn't work because it won't differentiate between "Design
process manager" (the person that manages the creation of the design process)
and "Design implementation manager" (the person that oversees all other design
work).

We should all be signatories to the label non-proliferation treaty! :) I don't
think that labels are the issue, but that there are so many of them and that
they are used indiscriminately.

Cheers, Andrew