[Sigia-l] Updated copyright notices

Listera listera at rcn.com
Tue Jan 3 13:55:22 EST 2006

Eric Scheid:

> ... and yet I've also heard that proactively stating copyright is helpful
> when you go to claim damages.

Other than the narrow issue of involuntary infringement, there's no such
thing as "proactively stating copyright," as the official document states.

> So I've heard.

Yep, urban myths raised to the level of "best practice." Same old. :-)

On a more practical side, the notion of a date range (such as © Name
2002-2004) is a non-starter. On a large site, the website itself may have
been first unveiled in 2002, but it often contains copyright material first
published well before that. Also the dynamic nature of online "publishing"
where things change literally by the minute would render the notion of
dating a bit obsolete. Who really knows what exactly was "published" at
11:48 AM, 11/8/04? I work with financial clients and this transactional
snap-shotting for compliance purposes is a bear. And so on.

So my comments were a caution to those who think slapping a year range
somewhere on a website "solves" copyright/IP theft issues or is a solution
to some well-defined legal obligation.

----
Ziya

"Innovate as a last resort."