[Sigia-l] Re: Putting the "Graphic" back with "Designer" (was:the lesser importance of home pages)

Listera listera at rcn.com
Mon Jan 2 17:05:18 EST 2006

Peter Boersma:

> Where they begin can be determined;

Really?
Where does "graphic" design stop and "interface" design begin?

> That's why I like working in a team setting, with team members who
> specialize in neatly designated compartments.

That's "design by committee." Neatly designated compartment do *not* create
(integrated/holistic) solutions, they usually implement them. Design is not
implementation.

> So you do acknowledge that roles/titles naturally map to facets of problem
> solving?

No, I don't. In case it wasn't clear, the above refers to the *dissolution*
of roles/titles in the context and flow of problem solving, not the
artificial demarcation of them.

> No-one said we had to keep specializing...

You did: "That's why I like working in a team setting, with team members who
specialize in neatly designated compartments."

> What if I choose to call myself an Information Architect instead of a Designer
> and focus on structural organization, navigation, and labeling?

Nothing. You'd still be focusing on titles/labels/deliverables/compartments
instead of solving strategic problems through design. Problems do not stop
at the borders of neatly designated titles.

> If it is true that AIGA now cares for design strategists, who will care for
> the Graphic Designers?

Third party opportunity? :-)

> If AIGA wants to start competing with, say, DMI (Design Management Institute)
> that's fine, but then they should also re-imburse the graphic designers that
> do not feel the urge to become hand-waving, future-looking strategists and
> "leaders".

If you want to play that game: the plebian graphic-designer hordes in the
army of inconsequential grunts stuck in the mechanistic past can always form
their own 12-step group in vain hopes of curing themselves. However, it's
more likely that while they bicker about who's called what for doing
ever-marginalized chores, the solution train will have left the station of
opportunity. Welcome to the future: give the man his money back.

----
Ziya

"Innovate as a last resort."