[Sigia-l] Frustrated Mid-Level IA job seeker

Alexander Johannesen alexander.johannesen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 18:30:26 EST 2006

Hi,

On 3/1/06, Malahat Hosseini <mhosseini at sfu.ca> wrote:
> So generally the BA's discuss with businesses on what needs to be developed
> as content and how it should be presented?

That's the idea, at least. People tend to think that requirements
gathering will solve a number of problems the UX/IA people know needs
different approaches to solve. In the scheme of things, IA/UX is a
relative new sport and as such not yet represented at the corporate
olympics.

> I can see it makes sense in someways since they have an intuitive knowledge
> of how to present a bussiness...

I can safely say that it doesn't work very well; you can gather
requirements as much as you like, but that doesn't make you good at
presenting those requirements in an application. I've seen so many
projects fail (as in just being plain bad applications) because the BA
don't know jack about IA, UX, accessibility, or Design in general. A
BA's job is to please the business, not the users. Which means that
when people apply for BA jobs, that BA thing is expected, so if you
apply for being an BA and you give the IA/UX treatment, you've got a
50/50 chance that they'll love you or hate you.

Alex
--
"Ultimately, all things are known because you want to believe you know."
                                                         - Frank Herbert