[Sigia-l] Your take on MySpace

Debi Jones debi.jones at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 05:38:49 EST 2006

I think there are many valid points of comparison to Geocities.
Personalization is certainly chief among them.  Remember blinking
text?  Unimagable color combinations?  Midi files that played on page
load?

But at the meta level, it was a place where mere mortals could
experiment with building a spot on the web.  An ecosystem of sharing
trinkets evolved for Geocitizens just as MySpace has sprouted glitter
text tools, images and various asundry widget providers to dress up
one's room on the web.  Webrings on Geocities became friends lists on
MySpace.  Geocities "guestbooks" have become "comments" on MySpace.
There are so many points of comparison and repetition that one could
likely deliver an academic study on the topic.

Wouldn't you agree?

...Debi