[Sigia-l] Your take on MySpace

Louise Hewitt lhlists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 10:31:14 EST 2006

Listeria wrote:

> It's interesting to note that, of the two biggest usage explosions in
> Internet's history, Napster and MySpace, neither relied on design as a
> driving force. Napster had a semi-interesting transfer protocol (for its
> time), but for overall architecture/design/IA/feature set, it was sorely
> lacking. So it seems with MySpace.

What's lacking? Are we all talking about the same site?

Up front you've got big easy to spot images that establish the site's
credibility (cool bands, attractive funky looking young people,
promos). I can see clearly where I should log in. All the nav labels
are clear - one word descriptors. I know what to do, I can understand
quickly who it's aimed at and what it's all about, I get what all the
different panels do.

What I think you mean is that it isn't pretty. Nor should it be - it's
a showcase for pretty things and people, not an ad for the design
agency that built it.

I like it. It sucks, but it works.

Lou Hewitt