[Sigia-l] Your take on MySpace

Trenouth, John John.Trenouth at cardinal.com
Wed Feb 22 13:15:33 EST 2006

> If it's a design/IA failure and yet has garnered Napster-like scale,
> what does it say about our profession?
>
> Does it test well? :-)

It says that perhaps we have an over inflated sense of importance.  Its
says that "tests" cannot determine success.  It says that MySpace is
useful, usable and desirable for its target audience (regardless of what
many of our rigid IA notions posit).  It says that usability is not
necessarily and objective absolute.  It says that one can make a very
successful product by--and this is some we designers aren't all that
comfortable with--relinquishing control to the user.  It says the uses
and gratifications people get from various products do not always
conform to our often rigid notions and categories of good and bad
design.  It say that perhaps we need to open our minds.

PS.

Dave said,

"The masses are incurably ignorant'" - Plato

Plato was a fascist who believed that everyone should just bow to
superior judgment of the philosopher king.  How much does this quote
reveal about your design approach?

Openness and releasing control is design's future, not fascism.

Espanol - Deutsch - Nederlands - Francais - Italiano - Norsk - Svenska - Japanese - Danish - Portuguese: www.cardinalhealth.com/legal/email