[Sigia-l] Your take on MySpace

Alexander Rudloff alex at postGorilla.com
Wed Feb 22 00:04:36 EST 2006

I, along with any other self respecting geek, avoided MySpace like the
plague. That is until I went home for the holidays and each completely
separate group of people I ran into seemed to talk about it. For the
purpose of conversation, I'm 25, so that's about right I guess.

It's an awful, atrocious website that offers nothing in terms of
innovation or creativity. It's a complete IA failure that flies in the
face of reason, logic and understanding. Everytime you log in,
something else is broken. There are simple HTML mistakes that the
for-dummies series doesn't even bother covering. So yea, on the face
of it, you would think that its not worth the $500+ million it was
sold for.

What it does offer, however, is critical mass and that cannot be understated.

There have been a number of attempts at social networks, but MySpace
and Facebook are the only two to find the true tipping point. Facebook
just happens to only allow college kids, which may fuel MySpace even
more. (facebook, btw, has way better functionality. Social timeline,
Photo tagging, etc = rad.)

Anyway.. Just my two and a half cents,

Alex Rudloff
alex at postgorilla.com