[Sigia-l] WINDS relation browser

Louise Hewitt lhlists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 06:09:51 EST 2006

Hi Ziya, and thanks as usual for the info.

I think this is nice, and quite interesting as I'm really intrigued at
the moment about how we are going to use flash and the AJAX web to
present information out of paginated environment. On this front, I
think this is a pretty example. Much clearer and more effective that
some of the other solutions I have come across.

What bugs me is that there is lack of clear relationship - as you
would experience in a tradition heirachical list.

For instance, I took a look at 'North America'. I could see that there
were many things with ''P" links (part of). Then I clicked to
'Canada'. This also had  a "P" link. As a landing alien, I wasnt'
clear which was 'part of' and which was 'has part'. It's nice that
they all link up, but without that understanding of heirachy, its a
bit odd. I'm sure that there was some clever distinction being made,
but I missed it.

Can't say that I don't miss the map format either. Understand that
this is just one context in which the tool could be used, but for geog
info surely a map is the best format as it is universally familiar.
"H" for 'has border with' is fine as a representation of fact, but
doesn't do anything to convey the reality of that border: which edge
it runs along; how long it is; whether it is a topographical or
politcal boundary etc.

One last thought, as I am presuming that you wanted feedback on this,
I was a bit frustrated because I couldn't go back to a global view. If
I got lost I needed to use the dropdown. Once I had done that, the
whole interface seemed a bit superflous (If I already knew what
country I wanted, why did I need to swim around looking for it.
Perhaps a kind of a 'top' view of the information space would be
handy.

Lou.