[Sigia-l] Throttling UX

andrew at friendlymanual.com andrew at friendlymanual.com
Sun Feb 19 18:08:15 EST 2006

Quoting Eric Scheid <eric.scheid at ironclad.net.au>:

> Consider a restaurant that provides an all you can eat buffet -- should they
> provide plates a big as hub caps, chairs with extra wide cushioned seats,
> and more? Or should they, as a business, fine tune the experience they
> provide to suit the largest market (not the widest market ;-), as well as
> ensuring they also make a profit at the end of the day? After all, if they
> go broke and have to lock the doors how does that benefit their customer
> base?

Hi Eric,

I must politely disagree :)

Heavy user early adopters are like gold - they evangelise like crazy. No-one
wants to be alone in the feeding frenzy. Cherish them, don't punish them. Don't
build a business model around minimal use if you want people to use the
business. I didn't invent this stuff, it is not rocket surgery, read Godin and
do some modelling.

Cheers, Andrew