[Sigia-l] labeling conundrum

Lyle Kantrovich lyle.kantrovich at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 00:56:14 EST 2006

Samantha,

As long as this "label" doesn't actually get exposed in the UI, but
only in the docs and flash "demo", is there really a big risk here?
If YOU didn't know it was covered in documentation, what's the
likelihood that users actually use the docs (e.g. I'm assuming you've
been running U-tests without docs available).  The only users that
will see the "label" are those that use the docs and view the demo.
Also, as long as the docs and demo actually explain clearly what they
mean when they say "toolbar", the users of the docs and demo should
understand well enough.  Users who don't use the docs or demo will
call it something more semantically perfect --- e.g. "that blue area
up there."  ;-)

But if you want to burn some $$ and political capital, you should
fight for a label test and make them change everything to the
"perfect" label.  There's likely no real business return on it, but it
might save a few users a few mental gyrations (this likely isn't
something that'd spur a support call)...even though they'll not pay
any more for the product.

The semantically precise part of me yearns for the label test.  The
pragmatist in me says to look for some bigger fish to fry.

--
Lyle

Lyle Kantrovich
Blog: Croc O' Lyle