[Sigia-l] Site maps for web apps, vs for content sites?

Stewart Dean stew8dean at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 13 20:24:44 EST 2006

>From: "Jonathan Baker-bates" <Jonathan.Baker-bates at framfab.com>

I call the massive spreadsheet a content matrix, I use them on a regular
basis with differnt columns depending on the project. They're great for
documenting the site BUT I do defend the use of visual representations of
structure in order to get a simpler view that often is lost with a content
matrix, I believe you don't completely disagree as you say you do use site
maps for high level conceptualisation.  As a matter of interest what do you
mean by 'content spec'.  Also what purpose did the xml version of the
spreadsheet used for - I'm hoping it was some kind of CMS automation but
can't tell from what you wrote.

>To document system behaviour there's the old wireframes supported by the
>occasional prototype (on paper then via Fireworks to HTML) with some
>usage scenarios backed up by the big guns: flow diagrams referencing use
>cases coupled with business logic rules, UI messaging catalogues, data
>dictionaries... But no sitemap. Why bother?

To see what you're building I guess, drawing in the overall patterns in
order to simplify and prune where needed, the framework for the project.  I
tend to draw the site out and make it work before moving onto the content
matrix phase where the detail is added.

One of these days we wont' have to touch paper to do IA work and we instead
work in the CMS directly.

Stewart Dean