[Sigia-l] Site maps for web apps, vs for content sites?

Jonathan Baker-bates Jonathan.Baker-bates at framfab.com
Mon Feb 13 09:53:51 EST 2006

I never said I didn't create site maps. What I said was I don't see why
spending much more than about a couple of hours on them is worth it
(ignoring updates/tweeks after meetings with stakeholders). This is
because I see them as only able to communicate a high-level introduction
to the sort of content the site will contain (and roughly the way it
will be prioritised for the user). If I want to describe contextual
navigation and flows, I don't use a site map. I use separate artefacts
that are better suited to that task (and in particular don't involve me
having to worry about whether to put boxed down the left or over the top
of an A3 page...).

One thing that intrigues me is that you talk of "navigation" in a site
map as if that was axiomatic. If I have a box called "home page" which
links to three boxes beneath it called "about", "products" and "contact
us" then what does that say about those three boxes? Are they related to
each other beyond being "children" of "home"? Can you get from "about"
to "products" without going via "home"? What if I want to communicate
different navigation treatments depending on the context of the boxes
(referring page, etc.). Are these things that you can efficiently
communicate on a site map? They may be, but as some others have pointed
out, once you get over a certain number of "pages" (whatever a "page"
is...!) then you're on silly street.

Jonathan