[Sigia-l] Site maps for web apps, vs for content sites?

Alexander Johannesen alexander.johannesen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 15:56:33 EST 2006

Hi,

On 2/11/06, Lyle Kantrovich <lyle.kantrovich at gmail.com> wrote:
> I disagree.  Your assertion here is that the need for a (hierarchical)
> site map is based on how important hierarchy is to the organization.
> You're ignoring the realities of the web site.

I'm sorry, I've been bogged down in too much inranet work, and that
really is where all this stuff is coming from. I actually hate
organisational internet sites, and are talking only about intranet.
Sorry, I should be more specific. I'll blame my current workloads. :)

> Some site map layouts I've seen are very
> difficult to understand (i.e. not usable).  For example:
> http://www.cybergeography.org/atlas/dynamicdiagrams2.gif or
> http://www.cybergeography.org/atlas/sitelens_large.gif or
> http://www.cybergeography.org/atlas/ptolomaeus_large.jpg

Wow, impressive stuff. It makes you wonder what the person *drawing*
them thinks, doesn't it? I think sometimes the person in question
don't care because they got to deliver this stuff, even if it doesn't
make sense or is hard to read or doesn't really help.

> > But hey, that's just us. What about you?
>
> I hope you aren't implying that governmental organisations "work quite
> well" and that web sites that reflect those kinds of organizational
> structures would involve less pain.

Like I said, *our* little organisation works quite well where the
organisation is more or less shaped according to our workflows, and
yes, our little governmental organisation "work quite well". Of course
there's always crossing over, but for a government place, it ain't all
that bad. I know that I work in a domain which has got the opposite
reputation.

>  If we'd just mimicked the
> existing org structure, no real progress could have occurred.

I can agree with that. I don't know why I said the website should
mimic the organisation. I meant that the intranet, for us, works this
way. Currently. It might change. It depends.

Alex
--
"Ultimately, all things are known because you want to believe you know."
                                                         - Frank Herbert