[Sigia-l] learnings from instructional design

Andrew Boyd andrew at friendlymanual.com
Wed Feb 8 03:32:22 EST 2006

Listera wrote:
> andrew at friendlymanual.com:
>

>> educating pays better
>>

> Is that a down-under thing?

Hi Ziya,

It's an enlightened self-interest thing. Educating clients pays better
in the long run. Informing them of design decisions, in my experience,
works once. Educate them about what you are doing and why, and they
invite you back. "We think we need an IA but we don't know why" is, to
my ears, a plea for education. I've heard it twice in recent times.

If I had a best practice it would be this: educate where possible and
relevant.

Granted, this is possibly not what Malahat had in mind when he prompted
my response. Teachers in the public education system are not paid well
at all.

Cheers, Andrew