[Sigia-l] On DRM

Olly Wright olly.wright at mediacatalyst.com
Sun Dec 3 09:18:00 EST 2006

On SundayDec 3, at 2:44 PM, Laurie Gray wrote:

> I don't know that this is the strongest argument - it WAS easy to copy
> from one format to the other! I remember being thrilled as a teenager
> at getting an all-in-one home audio system that contained a turntable
> and dual tape deck so I could transfer my albums to tape, or copy
> existing tapes...

Yes good point. Making cassettes off your vinyl was very normal
behaviour. And fun :) But this was different in that it is a one-way
process, was slow and involves a whole lot of loss of quality. If we
were willing to do this today we could get past any DRM... just copy
the the audio-out from your PC onto another recorder, or (with some
cable-hassle) do this with video too. Although I understand the new
HDMI connector has some blocks for this, they think of everything...
But the point is we don't do this anymore, we see it as too much like
hard work.

> To me, and I suspect many others, that mp3 file on my computer is just
> that. A file. And it's on *my* computer. Because of this, and that
> fact that I'm not really seeing or holding it in my hand, per se, like
> I would a CD or cassette or album, I *am* disconnected from the fact
> that it technically belongs to someone else.

Yes I think this is at the centre of the point I was raising. The
intuition has changed somewhere. In the past we associated in the
content with the physical form that held it, and applied physical
laws to it. Now we see the content as a computer file, and apply the
same intuitions to it that we do to our other digital files: such as
simple and fast copying, duplication at no cost.

As an IA trying to make user friendly consumer experiences for DRM'd
content, I'm trying to understand what the natural intuitions would
be for users.  And then design user-interface metaphors that they can
easily associate with. I personally believe that one of the most
effective ways to make something user friendly is for it to behave as
people expect it to... In the case of DRM'd content this is tricky,
as it is hard to figure out what peoples expectations really are.

I find the whole rental of web-delivered digital movies situation
very interesting in this regard also.

The idea of 'rental' of a digital movie makes no sense. Just none
whatsoever. If taken out of the historical context of old physical
media. The 'value' of rental is tied to the notion that a movie is a
physical object, a dvd or vhs cassette. Rental has value in this
context because you only get to keep the object for a given amount of
time, then you give it back and someone else can use it. Blockbuster
get it back and can make more money off it with the next customer. No
problem with that.

But why 'rent' a digital object? There is no value in returning it,
no purpose in switching the file off. E-blockbuster can't resell that
file to someone else any more easily because your file just timed
out. We're applying our physical-media intuitions to an area where
they don't apply. The old rules just don't make sense when looked at
with sufficient scrutiny.

And yet the rental of digital movies is something that most media
companies and consumers have accepted reflexively without questioning
the foundations. It is familiar and intuitive so we accept it, yet
underneath it is nonsense, groundless. A curious thing.

I suspect this is behind Apple's refusal to have rental on iTunes,
and why the 3-play limit on Zune squirted tracks is offensive. My
prediction is that the time-out / play-limited methods of providing
content will die a death sooner rather than later, once people's
intuitions catch up with reality and consumers see it for the thinly-
veiled marketing ploy that it is (that delivers them no value
whatsoever).

Olly Wright