[Sigia-l] Information Architecture 3.0

Ziya Oz listera at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 2 17:59:24 EST 2006

Andrew Boyd:

> the only issue I have with the Designer label is that it is just that
> - a label.

Sure. Albeit one that does describe what we do and one that's been around
far, far longer than the web, CD-ROM, DTP and so on.

> I think that if I've seen anything in 5 years of watching this debate on this
> list is that labels for what we do are ultimately meaningless.

Don't tell *me*. :-)

> The company I work for now has Consultants - and while we
> may do IA/BA/PPM/UCD/IS/profitability studies/comms strategies, this
> is what we all call ourselves.

I like that.

> We recognise the titles as a convenience for the benefit of clients

Yes, but look around you, there's a whole cottage industry of title mongers.
They think it's more than that. After all, where do clients get their dose
of titles? Clients don't create titles, title peddlers do.

> I believe that these are hats we wear, not who we are.

Given the amount of proverbial ink spilled on this, you'd think the hat
makers disagree with you. :-)

Ziya
Nullius in Verba