[Sigia-l] Forcing use of Web pages instead of email

Leonard Will L.Will at willpowerinfo.co.uk
Wed Aug 30 12:11:05 EDT 2006

Is anyone else irritated by the increasing trend of organisations to not
publish any proper email addresses but instead force users to
communicate with them by filling in boxes on a Web page?

This may be convenient for the recipients, as they can connect the mail
up to customer details (if the customer has logged in) or ensure that
certain items of information are provided by including them as mandatory
boxes.

As a user, though, I dislike such tactics, because

1. I cannot easily keep a copy of what I have said in my normal database
of email messages, and it is therefore difficult to follow up with a
thread of messages if an initial response is not received or does not
completely resolve the issue. Sometimes companies make my outgoing
messages available for me to read on their Web site, but not always, and
they never tell me in advance whether they are going to do this.

2. The boxes provided for messages are always too small, usually being
only 4 to 6 lines deep and about a quarter of a screen width. This makes
it impossible to format a message tidily in paragraphs, or to quote
or print the complete message you are sending. The worst ones allow you
to write a whole coherent message and then when you try to send it come
back with an error saying "Message too long; please limit your message
to 255 characters". I then have to try various kinds of abbreviation
until the length is small enough to be acceptable.

3. If the company sends responses to its own "secure mailbox" on its Web
page, they seldom do me the courtesy of sending a proper email to me to
let me know that a message is waiting. I have to keep logging in to see
whether they have responded.

4. Organisations do not seem to have heard of secure email with
electronic signatures using PGP or similar systems. They think that
"secure Web pages" are the only way to send confidential information.

5. Companies send out advertising mail and service messages by ordinary
email, but then say "Do not reply to this message as replies cannot be
read; please use our Web page if you want to communicate with us". This
strikes me as particularly rude; surely they can provide a valid "Reply
to:" address in their emails, even if they are sent out by a mailing
list robot.

I hope that other IAs here are aware of these problems, and I plead with
them to consider the users when designing feedback mechanisms.

Leonard Will
--
Willpower Information       (Partners: Dr Leonard D Will, Sheena E Will)
Information Management Consultants              Tel: +44 (0)20 8372 0092