[Sigia-l] IA's Responsibility

Challis Hodge challis at experiencepeople.com
Wed Aug 30 10:58:10 EDT 2006

Harry G. Osoff wrote:
> Ultimate usability will result in greater revenues than are imagined.
>
> The more we insist on usability the more they will gives us
> the tools to make it easier, quicker, better, faster.
>
> In some cases this will not be an easy position to stand for.
> But who said life was fair.

I've been into a few stores recently to look at self checkout. I've found an
interesting approach in the Wal-Mart stores I've visited (other stores may
use the same approach). At the point where you select payment you have
choices that include credit card and debit card. Even if you select credit
card, if the scanner detects you have debit capabilities it takes you to the
input pin screen. There is no indication that you can hit cancel and then
select the credit option. Though you can. Obviously this is a business
decision given that debit is less expensive to process than credit.

What would you do if you're the IA/IxD on that problem/solution?

-challis