[Sigia-l] Dui or PMS?

Davezilla davezilla at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 11:26:47 EDT 2006

On 8/28/06, Leonard Will <L.Will at willpowerinfo.co.uk> wrote:

> classes small enough to be scanned by a human. The amount of published
> material on African religions is likely to be significantly smaller than
> the amount on Christianity. There should be no implication of relative
> "value" or "importance". Things are changing all the time, of course,
> but so much material has already been classified that radical
> reorganisation is resisted by people who cannot re-classify a large
> backlog.

Ah, so volume of material produced is more a determining factor than
the number of affected peoples? That might explain why on
American-made globes, the US appears larger than its land mass
actually is.

> >I vote for subject, then size (from sheer physics on older bookshelves,
> >this makes a lot of sense)
>
> That depends what you mean by "subject" - how specific are your
> subdivisions? As a practical compromise, many libraries group first by

Typical for me:
Art > African > Côte d'Ivoire > Yoruba
That's about as specific as I need to get for home purposes. In this
case, broken down by geography, as that is an important factor in
determining style and religious significance. The odd factor here is
that the last facet, Yoruba, is a language, but in this region
language makes a huge difference.

> size (using just one or two groups: perhaps "standard" and "outsize", or
> "octavo", "quarto" and "folio") and then by subject within the group.

With art books in particular, everything is oversized. ;^p

--
Dave Linabury, Omolotiwa
Davezilla: http://davezilla.com/

"Ise Orí ráni looni mòn hí se ò."
(Whatever job destiny assigns us, thus one does)