[Sigia-l] Axure

Fred Beecher fbeecher at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 09:58:26 EDT 2006

On 8/25/06, David Carruthers <dave.carruthers at gmail.com> wrote:
> > - Does it have a "backgrounds" concept? I use that a lot in Visio.
> >
> Not in exactly the same way.
>
> The same affect is achieved using a locked master as the background
> for all pages required (the only pain being if you wanted to send
> another item 'to back' then the background master would be on top of
> it)

The "master" concept in Axure is one of the major advantages it has
over Visio, in my opinion. When you change a master, *every instance*
of that master in the current prototype updates to reflect that
change. There are tons of things I now use masters for... search
results, navigation, etc. If I were to try to accomplish the same
thing in Visio, I'd need to create a tangled web of background
pages... no thanks! (Regarding locked masters... I've never bothered
to lock them... I've never needed to.)

> That in combination with the 'duplicate page' feature should do the business

Ack. Duplicate Page is probably one of the best examples of Axure's
clunkiness. Instead of being able to hit CTRL and drag a page to a new
place in the hierarchy, you have to hit the "Duplicate Page" option,
and then click a bunch of arrow buttons until it ends up in the right
place. It takes me far less time to just put the header, footer, etc.
masters on a new page. Or just copy & paste from an old page to a new
one.

- Fred