[Sigia-l] My card sorting book is underway!

Listera listera at rcn.com
Tue Apr 25 16:25:50 EDT 2006

Todd Warfel:

> Why shouldn't we  listen to users of a building as to where they would put
> light  switches, exits, the cafeteria, restrooms?

That generally presupposes two things:

a) Architects are otherwise blithering idiots who just wouldn't know where
to put them or that they never consult their "users," just as "designers"
are thought to be visual monkeys bereft of any notion of "usability."

b) If one could simply aggregate personal choices then the sum will
automatically produce a golden median desirable to all/most.

At the dawn of the digital music age, they asked users if they wanted one of
the MP3 players available out there. No one really wanted or cared about
them. Then they asked them specifically if they wanted the new iPod. Most
salivated at it. Users are not designers; they don't always lead.

> That's not to say they do  the wiring, but identifying where they would expect
> to find the light  switch, well, that would improve a lot of buildings I've
> been in.

You're right: in ANY profession, no matter what tools or methodologies one
uses, there WILL always be "bad" results/products/services. That's just the
nature of things, and dare I say, unavoidable.

----
Ziya

Usability >  Simplify the Solution
Design >  Simplify the Problem