[Sigia-l] OT: Library Thing

Listera listera at rcn.com
Wed Sep 28 22:39:37 EDT 2005

Alexander Johannesen:

> but the question is; what would Flickr be if no one tagged?

That's a trick question, because Flickr *is* here and people do tag. Somehow
we have the chicken and the egg. :-)

> I would say that tagging works cheaply in a given proportion of the data, but
> remember all those parts of the dataset that ain't tagged, tagged badly,
> wrongly, sloppy, etc; these *lower* the value of the whole, so this is why I
> question tagging as such.

Flickr doesn't want to be Google. There are lots of spaces where such
tagging can be very effective, without having to be dominant everywhere.

> the more I tag, the more I want those tags to actually do some good work, to
> actually work,

You're saying Flickr or del.icio.us don't do any good?

> and as my awareness about the issues involved increases, my want to tag
> decrease.

Why is that?

> My mind is always open, but perhaps a bit squinting due to experience
> and old and bitter issues with past lovers.

What's with this list and past lovers/wives? :-)

----
Ziya

Best Practices,
For when you've run out of your own ideas and context.