[Sigia-l] interposing taxonomy in search

Alexander Johannesen alexander.johannesen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 09:55:01 EDT 2005

On 9/23/05, Fortune Elkins <fortune.elkins at misys.com> wrote:
> Whatever you
> search, you get on the sidebar the narrower terms, broader terms,
> synonyms, business units, and if applicable, geographical terms.

Hmm, this is really a secret, but I've just finished (well, the
pointed to version isn't but who's counting) a search service that
heavily uses a thesaurus for searching and further exploring of terms.
Give me a week or so, and I'll even pop you a link. :)

The interesting bits is when you match thesaurus / taxonomy stuff with
other strict classification data (in our case, millions of records of
either Dewey or LCSH) where you can build up serious maps that has
cross-polination of semantics. I've getting excited just thinking
about it. I better go get a cold shower.

Alex
--
"Ultimately, all things are known because you want to believe you know."
                                                         - Frank Herbert