[Sigia-l] Screws

Listera listera at rcn.com
Sat Sep 17 02:41:09 EDT 2005

For some reason whenever IAs discuss standards/best practices/etc, screws
come up as an example, as I'm sure it did on this list in the past.

Screws haven't apparently changed much in 2,000 years. We have come to take
for granted its form and function as pretty much immutable. A screw is a
screw, everybody uses the same thing, why reinvent the wheel!

It turns out (not unlike a lot of standards/best practices) screws are
pretty inefficient at what they do. So somebody starts thinking contextually
and, lo and behold, finds a better way:

Forbes.com - The Taming of theScrew
<http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2005/0919/066_print.html>

Ought to be required reading. :-)

----
Ziya

Best Practices,
For when you've run out of your own ideas and context.