[Sigia-l] Seeking Best Practices: order for chaos

Listera listera at rcn.com
Mon Sep 12 21:58:10 EDT 2005

Jon Littell:

> How do you create a ³wrapper² for huge, decentralized organization??

If I understand this correctly, the organization itself is decentralized and
will not be (re)centralized as a result of this exercise. So why should it
present a "umbrella" site to "appear to be a single entity, with a
consistent brand" to begin with?

The canonical website example for the fallacy of this approach is the
disastrous Pathfinder.com that tried to "wrap" various Time Warner
properties together to create an "umbrella" site for wider exposure. And on
the corporate front is the equally disastrous example of Sony trying to
concoct synergy between its various independent companies. I use those two
and a few others as examples in my presentations to clients when the notion
of synergy/umbrella creeps up.

I suspect this may not be what you wanted to hear, but this is the other
side of the story.

----
Ziya

Best Practices,
For when you've run out of your own ideas and context.