[Sigia-l] integrated catalogues?

Skot Nelson skot at penguinstorm.com
Tue Oct 25 11:05:43 EDT 2005

On Oct-25-2005, at 12:00 AM, Eric Scheid wrote:

> heh, at least the answer you are searching for could be found on
> lots of
> pages...

sure. that's kind of the point right? It's out there. I know it's out
there. You know it's out there. Google knows it's out there.

Every search I've tried comes up with a miss though. I may be looking
for more than one needle, but I'm still searching a haystack.

And this is the status of modern search? It'd be more efficient for
me to search multiple targeted databases, except apparently the
market for "Guys to Cheap to buy Modern Motorcycles" doesn't merit a
focused engine. I know the solution to this problem, and it starts
with Ducati.

By contrast, there are any number of databases that index the full
content of new periodicals, often accessible for free through local
libraries. Searching them is extremely productive.

I've often wondered why anybody would bother paying to access the
online archives of the New York Times at all, given that the content
is all made available in these databases within days of being
published. I suspect ease of use if the main reason for this working
on the Times' behalf.
--
Scott Nelson
skot at penguinstorm.com