[Sigia-l] integrated catalogues?

Steve Toub stoub at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 20 22:46:30 EDT 2005

My sense is that this is largely a technical limitation (and a lack of
imagination?) of having separate silo systems powering different databases.

There is a category of software in the library world called federated
searching metasearching (current thread on this on WEB4LIB-L) but to
execute the parallel queries on silo systems, merge and de-dupe takes
far longer than what users have come to expect on something like Google
Scholar.

NSCU Libraries are doing interesting work along the lines of what you're
thinking. See their presentation on "In Search of the Single Search Box:
Building a "First-step" Library Search Tool"
http://www.diglib.org/forums/spring2005/presentations/morris0504.htm
http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/dli/staff/tsierra/dlf-ncsu-qs-demo.wmv

	--SET

Steve Toub