[Sigia-l] Does interface design matter?

Listera listera at rcn.com
Thu Oct 13 17:04:51 EDT 2005

Lyle Kantrovich:

> My point is that a service isn't a service until it has an interface
> with a human.

That's why I said, "Depends on where one defines the boundaries of this
argument."

The notion of a web service is that one client can search for a web service
provider, discover its interaction API, make calls and get results, all
algorithmically. To the extent that data thus acquired may be diverted to a
faceless app, like, say, a database, homo sapiens are not involved here at
all.

Of course, some human had to "design" the APIs etc., but you get the point.

There's a lot of info/data human beings currently acquire, parse, process,
interact with and store today through UIs that can and will be handled
algorithmically and without human intervention at the GUI level. We are
going to lose a lot of intermediary (GUI) steps.

----
Ziya

Best Practices,
For when you've run out of your own ideas and context.