[Sigia-l] Iconic paradigms

Listera listera at rcn.com
Thu Oct 13 00:56:22 EDT 2005

Pradyot Rai:

> However, I am not sure why anybody would decouple physicality from inference?

Because abstract concepts are hard to capture in iconic symbols, we often
end up using physical objects for representation. Is a pencil the best icon
for communicating the notion of editing? Is a closed padlock the best icon
for every variation of the notion of security, safety, authentication, etc?

I don't know. I hope not. I see many of these established conventions as
mere preponderance of usage, not much else.

For instance, at the moment, I am building a webcasting studio that's 100%
digital, no analog cameras, switchers, tape...nothing analog. Convention
says, use a videocassette, a clapboard, silhouette of a movie camera, a TV
set with rabbit antennas, etc to denote the notion of videostreaming.
Unfortunately, webcasting doesn't use any of those physical objects. In fact
the unique advantages of webcasting emanate from not using those objects,
instead being purely digital.

So I am thinking, why should I use the equivalent of a pencil as an icon
denote editing when it has no role in the process at all? And I wonder, what
would Jakob do? :-)

----
Ziya

Best Practices,
For when you've run out of your own ideas and context.